Sunday, September 13, 2009

Toddler Prayers

Abby has been going through pacis quickly lately... breaking them with her teeth. Before Katie was born we had successfully weaned her to use pacis only at sleepy-time. After her sister was born, she really seemed like she needed the extra security and comfort of her paci during the day, so we relented and allowed it for a time. We told her that as soon as all of her "purple pacis" had broken, then there would be no more pacis for her. She was fine with the idea until the final paci broke this afternoon. At bedtime, we explained that there were no more pacis. She whimpered. As we said her bedtime prayers with her, she interjected a prayer of "new paci coming". I stopped and asked her what she said, and she repeated herself. So I genuinely prayed with her about the paci situation, after which she again interjected with "paci broken"... so we talked to God about the whole situation with the chain of broken pacis. Wow. This was one of the sweetest things I've experienced with her. It let me know that she understands the nature of prayer... trusting her Heavenly Father with her important needs and desires. So, new pacis are coming afterall, but these will be green instead of purple, since they are the kind that are designed only for sleeping... ;-)

Last week Abby asked to go see Shiloh, one of her friends who happened to be sick... so I had to explain that we couldn't because Shiloh was sick. I asked her if she wanted to pray for Shiloh to get better, so we did. Immediately after we finished praying, she said "Shiloh better now?" So sweet. How do you respond to that?

8 comments:

  1. Man, I wish my heart were as trusting as hers. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish my heart were as trusting as hers. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that sweet baby girl so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that sweet baby girl so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it was raining last week I really needed Abby to sit on the curb with our feet in the gutter... in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it was raining last week I really needed Abby to sit on the curb with our feet in the gutter... in the rain.

    ReplyDelete