Monday, September 29, 2008

No More Water!!!

Turning on the water in the master bathtub has been one of Abby's favorite acts of "disobedience" for a while now...the tub is a tall garden soaker tub with the handles on top... she can't climb in, but can reach the handles perfectly. We haven't been able to find child-proof knob covers that fit & the doors to our bathroom are swinging doors that don't latch... So we just tolerated the bath-water battles for several months, repeatedly telling her "no water!" It took serious persistence on Abby's part to push us to think outside the box & find a creative solution to the bathtub blues... here's the scoop...

Floaters
Rushing to the tub worrying that your cell phone or camera is floating... most of the time, finding only Lambie, blankie, Baby, hangers, towels, etc.

Shower Shuffle
Mommy having to jump out of the adjacent shower more than 3 times to turn off the bathtub & chase down the little offender


Hmmm, How Long Has it Been?
Jake going to the bedroom to change his clothes after work & coming back to the kitchen to ask "honey, how long has it been since you have been in our bathroom?"...

Voluntary Confessions
Abby walking into the kitchen while I am making dinner & saying "no, no, no"... of course, meaning that I am supposed to follow her until discovering the particular act of disobedience that she is so proud of...afterall, you can't get any satisfaction if you don't get "caught", right?


Toddler Fake-out
Abby faking me out after I had just reprimanded her for turning on the water. While still standing by the tub, she pointed into my bedroom & started jabbering a million words a minute, as if something exciting was going on in there... so I looked to see what she was talking about... the moment I turned my head to look, she turned the water on! I couldn't believe the sophistication of her fake-out, so after turning the water off & telling her "no water!", I waited to see what would happen next... sure enough, she pulled the stunt again!!!

Stop This Crazy Thing
OK... this is where this long story finally ends! Abby & I rushing out the door around 10am one morning last week to get to music class & not returning again until 6:30 that evening... to find the hot water running in my tub... for 8 1/2 hours!!!! I've been doing the math in my head in my dreams at night... She must have taken advantage of my last-minute crazy packing for our trip out of the house...


Uncle!
We finally decided it was time to outsmart our toddler! Jake took the handles right off the bathub so she can no longer turn on the water! Literally, no more water! I am calling Alamo Heights Water & CPS tomorrow to plead for mercy on our bills...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Abby. I guess Grandma's not supposed to laugh, right? No water, Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am NOT laughing. that is NOT funny. that is NOT cute abby. bad abby. sorry....shar....i laughed...out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No No, Abby... hehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a great story. What did she do when she tried to turn on the water when the water handles were gone? I'm sure dissapointed. Well I know what you need for Christmas, a play kitchen that has a sink with water. J/K wouldn't be near as much fun if she was allowed to do it.

    ReplyDelete