Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Meaning of Mommy

Last week I had an extra boost in my spirits because Abby started calling my name a lot. Although her her first word, she really has not said "Momma" much until last week. All Moms know what I mean... how you feel like nothing could compare to the sound of your new name rolling off the lips of your first child... of course, many Moms have told me that it doesn't take long before you begin to look at your child and say (or, at least think) "could you just learn another word already?"... or "say anything else right now but Mom!" Well, my bubble burst this weekend after Abby spent the night at Grandma & Grandpa's house, and they reported that she said "Mommy" the entire time she was there, not because she missed me, but as a means of expressing her wants & needs (which are not few). It has become clear that "Mommy" means "please give me that" or "please help me with this". I guess very little will change over the next 20+ years, except she might just add a few more words behind my name to describe her need or want in detail.... sigh... "Mommy"...a sweet job nevertheless!

Here's a few pics from the last week...

New Push for Reading Since Tummy Yuckies Caused Video Addiction

Not Too Young To Help Unload the Dishwasher

But Not Too Old to Resist Toilet Paper Temptation

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sharla....I do know about everythign you just said. Ryan's been saying "momma" and i was just loving it until both rod and i realized he was just saying it when he was whining. wah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, we babysat too. Perhaps one night we can do a McDonalds dinner. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad Abby never got a chance to pick up a new airplane at Boeing. She would have been great running the toliet paper from the back lavatory to the cockpit!

    ReplyDelete