Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ramblings of a Blessed Mom

A few memories I think my girl will enjoy hearing someday...

1. You have mastered "hi", which you say with a sweet little drawl. You greeted every person that walked through the door at Starbucks this morning. I felt the first twinges of Momma bear protectiveness when anyone failed to greet you back... I resisted the urge to say "would you please say "hi?" to this little girl"?

2. The over-protective versus laid-back Mom dilemma bites me again... last week when feeling "laid-back" I opted to let you eat out of neighbors' popcorn buckets at the Wiggles show... now you have a cold. So the laid back Mom says... it's ok, it makes you stronger, right? :-)


3. You are obsessed with turning on the water in our bathtub. Today "Lambie" was floating in my tub... Lambie gets frequent baths. A while back, I found something even more interesting in my tub... in the short time it took me to put on my make-up, you had pulled a box of feminine products out of the cabinet, emptied it, filled it with your blocks & then threw the entire box of blocks into the tub & turned on the water.

4. Here's something kinda cool, but kinda sad... when I ask you what your name is now, most of the time you say "Abby" plain as day... I will miss "Baba" & "Babby" when they completely become toddler babble of the past.



5. You are attached to 3 "lovies" right now... Blankie, Lambie & Baby. Sometimes I can convince you to voluntarily leave them in the car when we go into stores, but most often you feel the need to take them with you.

6. Yesterday you pretended to eat pretend food & then pretended to hand it to me for a bite...it was a pretty sweet snack!

7. You now press your face to the window & cry when Dad leaves for work. It's both adorable & heart-wrenching.

8. I catch you trying to open the back door with your set of fake keys Grandpa made for you... especially after Dad has left & you want to go out to find him.



9. This morning I could not find your sippy cup for breakfast... after a long hunt, I finally found it in your little pink fridge. Right where a sippy cup of leftover milk should be! Great thinking!

10. Since you were a little baby, you have liked everything to have its place... I wish I could say you got it from me, but everyone would tell you I was lying. So I must admit you got that from your Dad. Last week when you got to eat your favorite meal of Gerber turkey sticks for lunch (sadly they look like Vienna Sausages & I only feed them to you on special ocassions) & they were all gone, you insisted on seeing the jar for yourself to make sure I wasn't holding out on you. While I was distracted with unloading the dishwasher, you filled the empty jar with all of your uneaten veggies. I didn't realize it until after you had gone to bed & I was cleaning up the kitchen. Maybe I should give you credit for a pretty sophisticated veggie fake-out (get that from your Daddy too).



11. On Friday you put your PB&J sandwich in a glass of water, drank the PB&J-filtered water, & then finished off the PB&J.




12. For several months now you have been very in to pushing furniture around the house. I find my kitchen chairs in the bathroom every now & then. Once you opened the back door & pushed your high chair right onto the back porch... you were trying to tell me we should dine al fresco. Your little pink fridge & oven get pushed all over my kitchen on a regular basis... here it is halfway across my kitchen.

13. You've come up with a new use for your play kitchen... you remove the sink, climb into the base & then stand up & stick your body out of the hole... every now & then you panic when you feel stuck & Mom comes to your rescue.

14. Today when you heard Grandpa's voice on their answering machine, you hollered out "Popop" as clear as can be. Is that going to be the name you stick with?



15. Whenever you hear the dishwasher door open, you come running... I have found all kinds of things in my dishwasher these days...Lambie, Baby, your sippy cup, your keys, etc... I have found them before running the dishwasher... on most ocassions... :-) I have put WD40ing the dishwasher door on Dad's honey-do list.



16. Same with the fridge-- you come running as soon as you hear me open the door. I hate to close it in your face after such a display of excitement & effort... so I let you play in the bottom two shelves sometimes. The mustard & huirachi sauce are your favorites. One day I forgot to monitor their whereabouts & later found them, along with your sippy cup of milk & Lambie, neatly placed in the shoe basket by the back door, with the dish towel on top to hide them.



17. We made your first "fort" today. You weren't too crazy about it at first. But later you moved your favorite things in.

18. I thought Piggy Snoot was so cute at first. It's still cute, but I have to admit I'm slightly sad that my sweet little girl is so good at giving "dirty looks" to Mom. Grandma thinks its funny though! :-)

6 comments:

  1. :( what a great post, you made me cry. I feel like I am there with you to see all this growing up. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puntie would be proud of her fort and would love to be in there with her! Don't you feel bad about all those people at the Wiggles that Abby gave her cold to? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE this blog! shar, you are good a writing. Babby, you are good at entertaining.
    Kim, dont you want to move to Austin? You would be so much closer to Babby. You need to give her pointers on being dramatic. just a few though...she is pretty good already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharla, I love your blog. I, too, feel like I'm getting a chance to see your little sweetheart grow up (long distance)! It makes my day to see the pics and comments. I agree, Martha...Puntie would have been in the fort with Abby loving every minute of it! I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was the cutest!!!! Loved reading all of them! And, she's such a little girl. Ryan's doing MAYBE half of those things. She's going to be smart like her momma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O I just loved reading this blog. I had so much fun looking at all th e pictures too.

    ReplyDelete